Wednesday 23 May 2012

Project 5: How to learn

 
From the learning notes:
Look back at a piece of work you have produced so far, including any notes and blog entries that went with it.
For each produce a short list defining:
  • · what you set out to achieve
  • · how you can identify what you have achieved
  • · whether you achieved it
  • · what you learned from this
Objective: This topic will concentrate on how I  can develop my own understanding and skills.
The second paragraph of the workbook discusses framing as an example of what appears to be a simple topic but is at the same time extremely complex. It asks the question; who should study aesthetics, the person who frames and takes beautiful pictures by instinct or the person who doesn’t?
My feeling on this particular topic is that I fall into the first category, not because I frame well by instinct, but over the years I learned how to place objects within a frame.
Reflection on a piece of work
Looking at the last exercise:
What did you set out to achieve? The objective was to produce a sequence to illustrate a scenario from an objective point of view using various camera angles. My sequence shows an alcoholic waking, taking his first drink of the day and his total obsession as he ignores the doorbell to pour and drink his wine.
How you can identify what you have achieved?
  • By looking at the completed sequence I can identify the camera angles used.  High angle, high to medium angle, low angle, close up.
  • Does the sequence tell the story clearly (see below for quotes)
  • By looking at the reactions of my fellow students to my sequence. Firstly I really like the film as a piece. Its simple, the story is clear and its well shot……Nico  I especially liked the way the bottle dominates the shot so that we see the man coming towards us (the bottle). The colours of the shot work well too. I liked the ringing of the bell….. Emily. I like the feeling of depth within the frame that they create. Someone's been reading Grammar of the Shot, haven't they? Stuart
Determine whether you achieved it
  • Look at the task objectives and compare your results From the task objectives I think I have achieved what I set out to do.
  • Look at other students work to see how they achieved the objectives From the wide range of other students work, mine compares favourably.
What you learned from this
  • How to separate the soundtrack from the video and re-lay it over a cut-in shot.
  • How to edit and form a narrative from several frames.
  • How to use different camera angles to illustrate different aspects of a narrative.
  • Plan more carefully with regard to using the story boards. The field of view of my camera is much narrower that I imagined. With use, I will get used to the camera’s view.
  • Continuity – try to be realistic when setting up shots, relate the set to the reality of the situation. (use of coasters?)
Now reflect on these important questions:
  • Is it better to struggle and improve your weaker areas or should you cut your losses and focus on your strengths? I think it is better for me to improve my weaker areas. I don’t think I will struggle, I just need to be motivated to overcome my tendency to concentrate on what I’m good at.
  • How can you really know what your strengths and weaknesses are? You can measure your performance against outcomes for the tasks you undertake.
  • How do you know what you need to know if you don’t know what it is yet? Use objectives and outcomes intelligently to find areas of weakness and strength.
  • Who can you ask or where can you find out? Your Tutor, your fellow students and the OCA forums will provide a useful resource for your learning.
  • How do you know if you have improved? When is it time to move on? See above regarding measurement of outcomes. I find that I know intuitively when I have improved. I get that feeling of realisation when something clicks into place. That is when it is time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment